Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A few questions with Yasmine Louis



When I like something, I REALLY like it.  Remember last month when I visited the boutique Fresh Collective and fell in love with their fashions?  Well....since then I’ve been obsessing over Yasmine Louis’ tee-shirts.  So much so that I had to reach out to her.  I had to let her know how cool her apparel is, and most importantly, to share her brilliance with the happygrrls’ audience.

Enjoy!

Hometown
Lots...but Toronto is my favorite.

Did you always want to be a designer?
Making art was never a question. I just always made stuff and sold it, even as a teenager in the streets of Montreal. And I can't imagine not making things.  

How did you come up with the concept for your t-shirts?
My everyday life. I wanted to have a line of clothing that had a meaning to me, not just a pretty print. Each of my prints (image and text) are inspired by a photo I've taken and by a specific moment. English is my second language (French being my mother tongue), but it's important to me to keep the sentences as I would say them, even if it sounds a bit odd. My work is almost like a journal... "today was almost perfect", "i lied and went to see a matinee", "i think it's going to be very awesome", these are all quotes from my everyday life, thoughts, or things I did.



What is the silk screen process like?
I have help before a big show, someone to assist me with ironing, folding etc., but I do all the printing myself. I can't imagine having someone else printing my work. I love the moment when you lift up the screen and see that perfect print. Impeccable lines. I love mixing colours and being in front of a blank shirt -- making something new every time.
Printing can be fast or slow depending on how you approach the technique. I use multiple screens and all my shirts are different so it can be time

What inspires you?
Toronto, good and bad days.

Where can we find your creations?
My studio on appointment, shows (check out my next show date on my website at www.yasminelouis.com), Fresh Collective stores and Millicent Vee in the Distillery.

Thanks, Yasmine!

Michelle

No comments: